The Soviet M1938 120-millimeter mortar was a copy of the French mortier Brandt de 120 mm modele 1935 that had been adopted by the French army. Very few were delivered before the armistice.
The Soviet 120 mm was the first modern 120mm mortar developed by any country, entering production in 1939. The Red Army made significant use of its heavy caliber by treating it as an artillery piece in World War II. The Germans were impressed by the weapon and adopted it for their own use, and developed a copy – the Granatwerfer 42. The mortar was kept in production long after the war and sold to Soviet allies. Its last significant use in battle was seen in the Vietnam War, used by the NLF. Users have particularly liked the weapon for its uniquely-designed towing carriage, which made it easy to limber up in a single movement, using hooks on the weapon’s base-plate. It is typically deployed to support infantry units, and is the heaviest weapon that can be reasonably transported by soldiers on foot.
This mortar weights 285 kg, it can be separated into 3 parts. The longest range of this mortar is 5700m (its German version can fire the shell to 6050m).
120mm Mortars in Polish Army in Berlin
In the Polish Army 120mm mortars were used in infantry division’s regimental mortar batteries (8 mortars ) and in 1st Independent Mortar Brigade (144 mortars) attached to the 47th Soviet Army in Berlin.
text: Wikipedia & Wojciech Bulhak
photos: Wojciech Bulhak
Visitor's search terms:
- 120mm mortar
- soviet 120mm mortar
- Russian 120Mm Mortar
- 120mm mortar russian
- 120 mm mortar
- 120mm mortar carriage
- m1938 howitzer in berlin
- soviet mortars